Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Sign of the Fleece: Update 2

I have decided that for the length of this update to put it into a new post.

Update 2: I have learned some more about the use of a fleece or as it is sometimes called casting a fleece. One powerful thing I learned was he was casting the fleece on the threshing floor. Now, what does a threshing floor symbolize?

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord Matt 4:4.

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:51

Bread is a symbol of the "Word that was made flesh and dwelt among us" John 1:14. I believe that the grinding of that grain, that wheat is a symbol of the study of the Bible. The fleece that was cast was cast in the context of Bible study. When the Lord has clearly revealed his will in the Bible it is our duty to accept that and not to ask for a sign.

In that vein, Jesus rebuked the Priests and Pharisees for asking for a sign:

Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: Matthew 12:38-39

It is interesting to note the phrase "evil and adulterous generation" because the covenant with Israel was represented a marriage contract; As believers in the new covenant we become the bride of Christ. Here, when evil and adultery are used it signifies their denial and rejection of that covenant and their sin caused blindness. John 9:41 They were asking for a sign because their sin blinded them to the truth that was right in front of their eyes.

This again points out that unless you are following all the revealed will of God that you have no business asking for a sign.

When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. Luke 7:9

Another story that I thought of is the centurion with the sick servant. He didn't ask for a sign because he had faith that Jesus could make his servant well even at a distance.

I have come to the conclusion that there are several different "signs" that you can ask for. The first, and the one that I have been focusing on the most, is the sign showing which way should I go, sort of the "right or left" sign. The second is what I am increasingly believing was the sign that Gideon asked for and that is the "are you truly with me" sign. That sign is asking "is it really you calling me to do this or is it another." That sign already has a direction to go and just needs confirmation and assurance. The first sign has no direction and is asking for direction. The sign of Jonah that Jesus gave the Priests and Pharisees was the second kind of sign. The first type of sign is exemplified in a story which I found in 2Samuel 2:

And it came to pass after this, that David enquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah? And the LORD said unto him, Go up. And David said, Whither shall I go up? And he said, Unto Hebron. 2Samuel 2:1

I will comment more on this later, I have run out of time.

God Bless!

No comments: