Monday, February 19, 2007

Why I don't listen to Hip Hop...Rag music

Full title: Why I don't listen to Hip Hop, Rap, Rock, Blues, Jazz, or Rag music

This is only meant to be a summary not a complete reference. It is the larger principles behind my decision not the actual way in which those principles apply to the music. I have limited myself to three principles that I believe apply here. Each is based on a Bible verse. They are:

1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:1-2

2. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

3. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1John 2:15

The three areas that I feel those kinds of music are incompatible with are, respectively:

1. They denigrate the image of God in humanity particularly in the mental and physical aspects.

2. They tend toward impurity of mind which leads toward impurity of action.

3. They lead away from God rather than toward Him by suggesting untruth. These lies are spread through the music even without lyrics. Additionally, the lyrics are often indifferent to religion at best and anti-Christian at worst.

Remember, this is not an exhaustive explanation merely a Cliff Notes type of summary of my views. We all need to be good Bereans and study for ourselves what to believe. I pray we "may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." 2Tim 3:17

God Bless!

No comments: